- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 500 g baby tomatoes, halved
- 5 ml Robertsons crushed chillies
- 1 ml Robertsons cayenne pepper
- 75 ml red wine vinegar
- 150 ml soft brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices thickly sliced sourdough bread
- 60 ml butter, room temperature
- 400 ml Leyden cheese, grated (or mature cheddar)
- 400 ml smoked snoek, shredded and deboned
Serving Size 4
Amount per serving
To make the spicy tomato jam, place the red onion, tomatoes, Robertsons Crushed Chillies, Robertsons Cayenne Pepper, red wine vinegar and the brown sugar in a pan. Season with salt and simmer for 30-40 minutes until it has reached a jam consistency. Pour into a sterilised jar and leave to cool. (Keeps for up to four weeks in the fridge).
Butter the bread, and place buttered side down on a tray. Divide the Leyden cheese and snoek evenly among 4 slices of bread. Spread the remaining 4 slices generously with the homemade spicy tomato jam. Sandwich together.
Place on the grill/grid and braai/barbeque over medium coals. Make sure to keep on turning the grill/grid regularly. Braai until golden brown and the cheese has melted.