For the Pastry
- 250 g cup of chilled butter, cubed
- 500 ml or 2 cups of cake flour
- 60 ml or 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/16 tsp Pinch of salt
- 2.5 ml or 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml 1 cup of finely grated cheddar
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 5 ml 1 tsp of ice water
For the Filling
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 5 ml or 1 tsp sugar
- 5 ml or 1 tsps Robertsons Chicken Spice
- 2 eggs, light whisked
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 green patty pans
- 4 yellow patty pans
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 small butternut, peeled
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp Robertsons Italian herbs
- 20 g Garnish with watercress
Serving Size 8
Amount per serving
- Energy 1303
- Protein 34.0g
- Carbohydrate incl. fibre 133.8g
- Carbohydrate excl. fibre 121.2g
- Sugar 20.2g
- Fibre 12.5g
- Fat 73.7g
- Saturated Fat 29.9g
- Unsaturated Fat 39.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 33.4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 6.1g
- Trans Fat 1.0g
- Cholesterol 216mg
- Sodium 412mg
- Salt 1.03g
- Calcium 51%
- Iron 86%
- Potassium 69%
- Vitamin C 231%
- Vitamin A 160%
Grease a 24cm loose bottom tart tin and set aside.
Mix all pastry ingredients together.
Knead by hand to form a dough, adding a few drops of ice water if needed.
Roll out on a lightly floured surface, then line the base and sides of the tart tin, trimming away any excess dough.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to use.
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat.
Cook the onions and Robertsons Chicken Spice gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until soft, sticky and caramelised. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
Mix the egg, cheese and onion together and spread over the base of the tart.
Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, cut the patty pans, sweet potato and butternut into thin slices.
Starting on the outside, arrange the vegetables into concentric circles with the rounded edges facing up.
Brush the vegetables with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the Robertsons Italian Herbs.
Place the tin on a baking tray and bake in a 180º C oven for 60 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and the vegetables cooked through.
Serve with crisp watercress.